Find Your Happy Place


You might be a stay at home mom, a mom who volunteers, a mom who has a part-time job or a mom with a full time job. Whatever you do, it doesn’t matter.

If you’re a mom, life is busy. 

And it doesn’t matter the stage or age of your child. You could be up all night for feedings and changing diapers, or you could be rushing to every football game and dance recital to take videos and pictures. Or maybe you are helping your child study for SAT’S, or you are getting teary-eyed as you take pictures of your child and his date getting ready for prom. Maybe you are setting up your child’s college dorm room, praying that she makes wise decisions every day while she is no longer under your roof.

No matter the age, if you’re a mom, you are busy.

You can be a first time mom, or a third time mom. The first time is stressful because everything is so new and you aren’t sure what you’re doing. And being a third time mom is stressful too. Your third seems to be more relaxed because you’re more relaxed. A runny nose? Meh…He’ll be fine in a few days. With your first, you remember rushing to the doctor. Even though you’re more relaxed this time around, having three children is stressful as you juggle the three different ages and stages of each child.

One goes to bed early and takes naps, one makes slip and slides with water and dish soap in your hallway, and one doesn’t  take a break all day and just plays with Transformers, little Lego men and Star Wars action figures.

Motherhood is wonderful and so rewarding. None of us would trade it for the world.

But let’s face it, motherhood is busy and it can also be stressful.

So how are we supposed to keep our sanity? When and where do we recharge our batteries? Where do you go? Have you found your place? Many of my friends find comfort on the tennis court, others relax by getting their nails done, and some just can’t wait to go to the grocery store.

I can relate. Your husband offers to go to the grocery store for you. He thinks he’s being sweet by offering to go, but, ummm, no thank you. A very sweet offer, but the grocery store…by yourself? Is there anything more relaxing?

Moms need time to themselves. Not time at work or running errands, but time to themselves to feel a little less “mom-like. “

Where’s my happy place, you ask? Well, that’s easy. As many of you know, I have been following Pearl Jam, my favorite band, since I was in 7th grade. My dad took me and a few girlfriends to my first PJ concert in 9th grade at Bayfront Park Amphitheater in Miami in 1994. After that, I was hooked. I started traveling to see PJ when my husband and I started dating, and for over 10 years we have seen them all over the country and even flew to London to see them play one year. So a really happy place is, of course, at a PJ or Eddie Vedder concert.

But my weekly happy place? Definitely Starbucks. Every time my husband and I go to a big city to see PJ play, we find a Starbucks and just can’t stop talking about how relaxed we are when we are there.

I walk into a Starbucks and my 3 day unwashed hair and wrinkled t-shirt, with spit up on it, seem to disappear. I walk in and feel like I’m in the movies. You know when the light from heaven shines on the actor and the angel sings? Being a sometimes stressed out mom, who feels and probably looks pretty weathered, seems to melt away when I walk into a Starbucks. Even if it’s only for the 20 minutes I get to drink the coffee.

Specialty coffee. Yes, it’s an expensive habit that we can’t quite afford. But I say, if it gives me my sanity, I’m going for it. Whenever I need it or want it. And the best part of my Starbucks experience is that it takes me to one of the cities where my husband and I have seen PJ play. If I drop a coffee off for my husband at work, he texts me, “Where are you today?”  If my reply isn’t “Chicago” or “Seattle,” every once in a while it could be, “Anywhere but here.” And after that cup, my batteries are recharged and I’m ready to face the day. I’m ready to be the best mom I can possibly be to my three children.

So where’s your happy place? If you don’t have one, you need one. Sure, you may feel a little guilty indulging in some “me time,” but I say, if your small amount of “me time” makes you a better mom, go for it!

See you at Starbucks!

Comments

Popular Posts