How Do You Say Goodbye?


Have you ever really thought about how truly meaningful the words "goodbye" can be?

Most people try hard not to think about it and make a goodbye quick and painless by saying, "See you soon," "I'll call you next week," or "I'll text when I land."

And depending on who you are saying goodbye to, goodbyes can be short and quick, with a wave or a handshake. Or a goodbye can be full of tears, with long-lasting, lingering hugs.

I've NEVER been particularly good at goodbyes. Those who know me well know that I cry like a baby when a special day, weekend or week with a loved one is over.

But when I say goodbye to a loved one in the morning or at the end of the day, or I say goodbye to an acquaintance or someone I've recently met, my goodbyes are not as involved. I think to myself, "I'll see so and so tomorrow at work or at the end of the day or at the end of the week." But is that always the case? 

No, or course not. We never truly know when we might see someone again or if we might not see them again until we join them again one day in Heaven.

Too many times I have heard people say that they wished they had said, "x, y and z" when they last saw or had last spoken with a person, not knowing that the last goodbye really would be the last one. 

In fact, I've asked myself that same question, day after day, since I recently said an unknowing final goodbye to someone.

We ask ourselves, "Why didn't we just say this, instead of that?"

If only we knew it was the last goodbye, maybe we would have said something different.

Unfortunately, we don't know when a goodbye might be the last one. But we can learn that we need to act as if EVERY goodbye might be our last, whether it's saying goodbye to a best friend or family member or simply to an acquaintance.

Who do I have to thank for this eye-opening lesson in life? My sweet and very special middle son-J.W.

Since J.W. was two-years-old (he is now four), he has had to walk everyone he loves to the door to say goodbye. In fact, he has to go outside and wave goodbye to them.

He doesn't kick and scream like some children might, begging that the person doesn't leave. He just simply waves goodbye until the person he loves is completely out of sight.

Every last motion and every last breath he puts forth as the person departs is used on the most loving send off that only a king and queen might experience. 

And unlike most people who just think, "See you soon," my little guy feels that a goodbye is the most important part of the day. And the Lord knows he feels fulfilled and that no words have been left unsaid when he bids his family and friends farewell EACH AND EVERY time he says goodbye to them.

What an amazing example only a child could provide for an adult..."treat every last moment with the ones that you love as if it might be your last".

Thank you, JW, for always teaching Mommy the important things in life. I love you to pieces!

Comments

Popular Posts