What's Tapping You on Your Shoulder?


My father gave the most beautiful sermon this morning– “The Reluctant Prophet.” It was one I had heard before, but it didn’t matter. Whenever my father speaks, I am beyond proud of him. His words move the congregation. And his words move me - each and every time he speaks.

When he spoke of Jeremiah today - saying that Jeremiah thought he was too young to be capable of sharing God’s word - my father reminded us that we should never make excuses that we are too young, too old, or too busy to do God’s work. We need to heed God's calling. And we need to do it now.

Jeremiah 1: 6-8 says:
 “O Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!”
The LORD replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the LORD, have spoken!”

Eleven years ago, I was like Jeremiah. I too was scared. I had studied and worked hard to prepare for a particular path. Yet, I felt a tapping on my shoulder – a calling to pursue a different path. I wasn't sure that I was up for the task of starting over. 

But I couldn't ignore this tapping - a calling to care for God’s children - to teach them and to guide them so that they knew the way of Christ.

So my new path began. And while my career in education started and stopped at different points throughout the past eleven years as I gave birth to my three precious boys, I always came back to what I felt most called to do – teach.

From Kindergarten to fourth grade to high school to five years as Director of Children’s Ministry at our church, and now a middle school teacher– I have not ignored the tapping on my shoulder.

I have always gone back to teaching.

My dear teacher friends – I know that teaching is not easy. The hours are long. We’re more sleep deprived than when we had newborn babies. There is always a parent or a student or two who gives us a hard time. And other things occur throughout the year, making us question – Is this all worth it?

Sometimes we can relate to Jeremiah. We’re not really sure if we can carry out the task we have been called to do.

But remember that God told Jeremiah that he knew the plans he had for him before he was born. And he knows the plans he has for us.

So for those of you who are like me – where teaching runs through your veins and bringing out the best in each and every one of your students is your number one goal each year – don’t ignore that tapping on your shoulder.

Listen to it. And go for it.

Even when the days are long and other things stand in your way – know that you were called to be where you are.

I’m praying for each and every one of you. Please pray for me.

Below is a prayer that my mentor, friend, and pastor shared with me as I began my school year last week. Thank you, Dr. Norris.

Gracious God,
There are few callings you can put upon us that are more important than, “teacher.” And for the special few who take up that calling and put it upon themselves as a vocation, we are so grateful.
For we know that before we each grow into the people you want us to be, we are first students. And without these special individuals knowing how to teach us, counsel us, make sure we don’t forget our homework, show us how to raise our hand before we go to the bathroom, without these people teaching us the big things and the little things, we would never make it. We could never grow into the people you want us to be.
So we thank you, God, and we ask you to be with them this time of year. We know that their jobs are not always easy. We know they will get tired, we know their patience will be tested. So we ask you to be upon them. To strengthen them and surround them so that even when they think they have nothing left, they will find some more.

We ask you to fill them with your knowledge, that they teach our young ones the reading and writing and math and science. But we ask that you also help this entire team to be teachers of the things we don’t think of as much in schools. Help them to be teachers of humility, and gentleness. Help them to teach kindness, and grace. Help them to teach honesty, and love of neighbor. Help them to teach care of others and good citizenship in a world that so badly needs our little ones to grow up knowing these things.

God, fill your teachers and your students with peace these first days of school.

In the name of your Son, our good teacher, Amen.


Rev. Hallie Hottle

Comments

Popular Posts